Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Floriston to Verdi - 5-6-09

The weather is improving, but it's still very windy, so it seemed like kayaking would be a better option than skiing. Luckily Chad and Craig were already planning on boating the Truckee, so I hooked up with them for the run from the top of Floriston to Crystal Peak park. The flows have come down a bit and it was running about 1400cfs at Farad. I took my bigger boat, the Kix, partly b/c I wanted to try it out and partly b/c I wanted to be more stable for "Deadmans" and if we ran "Stateline Dam". The only problem is that a the darn boat leaks, I don't know if it's from the sprayskirt, which fits loosely, or somewhere else, but I had to keep emptying it. Anway, we had a fun run: Floriston was fine, even if I did get turned around in the eddy at the top of Jaws; Deadmans was an easy line, and we walked Stateline. The howling wind and whitecaps just made it more interesting.

No comments: