Saturday, May 2, 2009

Running Floriston Rapid May 2nd 2009

Last night Dina threw me a surprise birthday party at Silver Peak (I was very surprised) and I got talking to Eric Frudden, Charles and Eric Lovejoy about boating – how I really stopped kayaking. Well, today I noticed the river was brown and fast and when I checked the flow it was 1900 at Farad. So I called Frudden and we drove up there to run it. We were both a tad tense about running it at the higher flow, given neither of us has boated much in the past few years (although Eric did do the Grand last summer!). In any case, we pretty much just ran it without much playing. It took all of ~30 mins! Jaws had a big line down the right and I pretty much nailed it (always anticlimactic when you hit the line). Eric went too far left and had an exciting run, hitting the bottom hole. After Jaws I felt much looser and had more fun. I did drop in to one hole unintentionally, but stayed cool and enjoyed pulling to get out. We were both so glad we did the run. For me at least, it made me feel like I can still kayak!

Here's what the run looked like from the bridge as we drove up:
From Drop Box

No comments: