Sunday, January 18, 2009

Good tour, lousy snow

We haven’t had snow in “forever” (since ~12/22) but I decided to take Yuki out for a little ski tour. It was just the two of us and we parked down at Tahoe Meadows and then headed up to Relay Ridge and Mt Houghton. I clipped Yuki’s leash to his pack and my waist belt and he actually pulled me pretty well. First he pulled me up the hill to the fire road and then I switched to “kick skins” and he pulled me along the road. I’d say he saved me about 24% effort. Once we hit the ridge we got blasted by the wind, but we continued on to the top of Houghton. The North Chutes were stripped bare so we went down to check out the East Bowl – hammered, so we continued to the East Chutes – the same. I skied down the first chute anyway and then we skinned up the bowl (stopping at the base while we were out of the wind for lunch in wonderful sun). Then we skied down one of the “Dog legs” in decent corn and traversed over to the fire road. I clipped in to Yuki for a bit and unfortunately nicked his rear leg w/my ski at one point (we glued and bandaged it at home).

It wasn’t great skiing, but it was a great tour.

It was still pretty warm when I got home. Warm enough to soak up some sun.

And a great evening to hit the hot tub with Treyson and Bridger.

1 comment:

John Eliason said...

Yuki deserves an extra dog bone this evening, I'd say. Or at least a few minutes to soak in the hot tub.

JE