Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Ski

We went to a New Year’s Eve party at the Grubbs last night, so I didn’t make it out for the Dawn Patrol, but I was still out early enough to be skiing down the Meadows with Yuki by 9:30. I was on my “Boundless” pattern skis this time and made it to the top of Price in 45 min’s. It was already warm and humid, but the snow on the north slopes was still pretty good (much better than Sunshine the other day). I took one run down, working my way over to the right further than usual so that I could hit the trees rather than the open steep bowl I usually ski. The uptrack was a pain b/c snow kept sticking to my kick skins and skis, but I was up in a half hour and then kicked and glided over to Chickadee Ridge and skied out to the truck. I’d say it was more of a good tour than a great ski. I stopped at Rose and took five runs on my alpine skis (2 in the Chutes). I had a great wipe out too! I came down a slope pretty fast and then found myself it some moguls (to my surprise). The next thing I knew I lost my left ski and I was still moving pretty fast. Then I lost my right ski and went down and slid a bit before I could self arrest. Wow! I haven’t lost my skis in ages (of course I can’t w/my tele gear).

No comments: