Sunday, January 11, 2009

Peter Grubb Trip

I went in to the Peter Grubb Hut this weekend with a group of ~10 first and second year medical students as the faculty advisor for the Wilderness Medicine Interest Group. I met the early group at the medschool at 8:00 on Saturday morning (the second group would come up after working at the Student Outreach Clinic). Yuki was loaded up with all the food for dinner, my camping gear and a Heineken mini-keg. He did great, the only time we struggled was traversing some slopes as we got close to the Hut.

After settling in and having lunch (and a cold beer) five of us went out to climb and ski Basin Peak. Much to our (pleasant) surprise we found early corn (Dallas called it slush) for a nice run down. Nice enough that Dallas, Yuki and I went up for a second run further over in the bowl.

Veronica (with some help) cooked up the chicken curry dish I brought in and we had a lovely evening with fine food and plenty to imbibe. After walking out to the meadow under a full moon and enjoying the views with everyone, Yuki and I retired to my "BetaMid" (floorless tent) where I was quite impressed with how well it did holding up to the howling winds.

Sunday morning we did a little beacon practice and then headed out. Again, it was a bit of work traversing out from the Hut, but once we got on the main trail Yuki just took off! He was galloping down the trail in spots!

Here are some pictures from our trip:

1 comment:

John Eliason said...

Looks like another good adventure was had by all. I remember a trip to Peter Grubb Hut; we renamed it "The Hanta Hut." And we weren't even medical professionals. How 'bout that!

JE