Monday, March 16, 2009

S***y Mountain, NY

I got a "free day" while up in Saratoga helping my Dad recover from his eye surgery (still not sure how successful it was), so after emailing back and forth with "Freedan" from T-tips and doing some research, I headed up towards Indian Lake to ski the Slides . Dan gave me great directions, so I only drove past the trailhead a couple of times before pulling over and getting going. I started up around 10:30 and reached the bottom of the slides by 11:15, another 45 min's and I was up on top of S***y Mtn looking for a vantage for a good photo of the High Peaks to the north. Unfortunately all I could see was more trees all around me. So I made my way back to the slide, which wasn't easy to find from above, and enjoyed the corn. I did two runs on the main slide and one on a slightly smaller slide, but which was much less skied from yesterday. Each time I went above the slide and was amazed at how hard they are to see from above or the side. On my last climb I found an interesting frozen waterfall that I had to take a few picgtures of. After three runs and lunch I skied back out the the car thoroughly happy with my day.

Here is the slideshow:


And a short video of my skiing. First, skiing the trees to get to the Slide:



Here I am skiing the Slide, notice how well hidden it is:


(NB - edited to remove the name of the mtn since learning that one doesn't reveal "secret" slides when back East)

2 comments:

Justin Winter said...

Pretty cool Dave! Not Sierra corn, but looks fun.

John Eliason said...

Thanks for sharing, Dave, and you displayed deft tree-whacking technique while accessing the slide.

Looks like pretty country, there.

John